ADSM-L

Web B/A Client and Firewall

1999-12-10 06:24:59
Subject: Web B/A Client and Firewall
From: "Smith, Bob" <bob.smith AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 11:24:59 -0000
We are running server 3.1.2.42 and clients on 3.1.0.7. We use the web admin
GUI quite successfully and have now started to try the new web
backup/archive client. The server uses port 1580 to comminucate and the B/A
client port 1581. There is no problem accessing the server on 1580, but when
we try to use the client we get the initial log-on screen fine but
thereafter get blocked by our firewall. We have ensured that ports 1580 and
1581 are open OK.

A trace showed that ADSM uses port 1581 to listen and to log-on: thereafter
it uses random high-numbered ports. This is why the firewall blocks us. I
have raised this with Tivoli, who confirm that after logon with port 1581,
ADSM uses the next available port, not port 1581. Hence the problem. My view
is that if the web B/A client is supposed to allow you to remotely access
your system via the web from "anywhere in the enterprise" then ADSM should
support that. What large enterprises these days do not have a firewall
somewhere?

I have asked our IBM Customer Rep to raise a Design Change Request but I
suspect this will take a long time.

Anyone else had this problem, and would they support a DCR?

Bob Smith
EDS UK
email: bob.smith AT eds DOT com