ADSM-L

Re: long backup time

1999-12-08 12:39:21
Subject: Re: long backup time
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:39:21 -0600
What about the client?

What's the CPU utli % on the client.

Generally on NT anything higher than 70% shows that your CPU is somewhat
constrained.

I've seen significant performance improvements when backing up filesystems
of this type when the client has more cpu horsepower and a faster disk
subsystem.

The fact that you are getting such a high cache hit rate would suggest that
your ADSM server is performing quite well.

Part of the bottleneck also lies with the NTFS filesystem, it's not exactly
the fastest of filesystems.
I'd be interested to see if anyone has done a comparison between FAT and
NTFS filesystems in a scenario such as this. That's not a suggestion to
start implementing fat filesystems just a peek at what sort of performance
difference there is.

Nathan