ADSM-L

Lotus Notes Agent Restores

1999-12-03 10:14:20
Subject: Lotus Notes Agent Restores
From: Jason Phebus <phebus AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 10:14:20 -0500
Server: ADSM 3.1.2.20
OS: AIX 4.2.1
Disk Storage: SSA
Tape Storage: Mastar 3575 B & C format
Lotus Notes: 4.5.5

Yesterday I had to rebuild a Lotus Notes DB and used the "Merge" option and
gave it the dates 11/30 - 12/01.  5 hours later 20M had been transfered to
the client.  It has been my experience that the agent restores are slower,
and that restores from SSA disks are slower than the Magstar, but I have
never seen this kind of poor performance.  Does anyone have any ideas as to
what could be causing this?  The storage pool volumes are spread out across
8 SSA drives, and it definitely had no need for the tapes for this restore,
it was all coming from disk.  Could the agent be that slow?  Could the
Notes server be the one with the performance problem?  We do weekly backups
with the regular ADSM client, and daily backups with the Notes agent.  The
regular backup that I pulled (116M) took no time at all.  If more info is
needed, let me know.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Jason Phebus
Workbench Services
phebus AT us.ibm DOT com
TL 526-2285