ADSM-L

Re: ANR8208W

1999-12-03 03:58:59
Subject: Re: ANR8208W
From: "Frost, David" <d.frost AT GUARDIANDR.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 08:58:59 -0000
Nick,

We run adsm on Solaris, and find the same thing.  Whether we close adsm
tidily with a halt, or there is an "unscheduled stop", the server does not
do a clean shutdown on the listening port.  The o/s therefore takes over,
and forces the sockets closed according to tcp/ip rules - which include
several wait states, and can take up to 7 minutes.  While the sockets are
unclosed, it is not possible to reconnect to them - hence the message on the
console log.  It would be nice if the server retried to open the port after
a delay after it recognises that it failed the first time.

This is also the reason that it is dangerous to run the server from inittab
with "respawn".

We run a small script from cron to check for the dsmserv process, and if not
found, it loops on netstat -a|grep 1500 until the 1500 port is finally
closed before restarting the scheduler.  It is actually faster to reboot
(!), but then we lose control if we are running remotely.

dave

> ----------

The information contained in this email is confidential
The information contained in this email is confidential
and intended only for the use of the individual or
entity named above. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited. Guardian will
accept no responsibility or liability in respect to this
email other than to the addressee.

notify us immediately by telephone at 44 (0) 1932835900
or by email.