ADSM-L

Two Level Tape Hierachies

1999-12-02 00:32:48
Subject: Two Level Tape Hierachies
From: Steve Harris <steveh AT WESLEY.COM DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 15:32:48 +1000
Hi all.

Regular readers will know that I'm looking at strategies for increasing capacity
of my 3575-l06 library.  I'm reasonably sure that I don't want to go down the
road of having active tapes racked outside the library because of the amount of
manual intervention that would be required (I'll happily listen to anyone who is
doing this successfully!).  One alternative that occurred to me is that I could
have a second library of higher capacity/lower performance tapes and use ADSM to
migrate data automatically from one tapepool to the other as required, and for
copypool tapes.

This has the advantage of reducing the amount of tape swapping in the 3575,
thereby allowing the 14 Bulk IO slots to be configured as storage (a 23%
improvement less pending tapes), and if the new library is DLT it will allow the
reuse of the DLT media that we are currently using in stand-alone drives.  We
might also be able to get an old Stotek DLT silo second hand...

Is anyone using a multi-level tape pool scheme?  Any war stories, gotchas or
pitfalls?

Thanks

Steve Harris
AIX/ADSM/Oracle/HACMP Guy