ADSM-L

Re: mass file space name changes???

1999-11-30 11:25:57
Subject: Re: mass file space name changes???
From: "Robinson, Cris" <Cris.Robinson AT LIBERTYMUTUAL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:25:57 -0500
It appears that there is a bit of confusion around my questionso let me
clarify some things....

Our client devices have specified nodenames in the DSM.OPT file. We don't
pull the nodename from
the computer device name. ADSM does pull the file space name from the
computer device name.

So my nodename is Robinso_C-0055 my machine name is robinso_c-0055
my filespaces are:

\\Robinso_C-0055\c$
\\Robinso_C-0055\d$

If I change my computer name to "Goober" the nodename is the same, since it
is hardcoded in the dsm.opt, the
filespaces for my node are now:

\\robinso_c-0055\c$
\\robinso_c-0055\d$
\\goober\c$
\\goober\d$

When the computer name changed it also caused ADSM to do a full backup on
the "goober" filespaces.

Now, if I rename the filespaces after the computer has been re-named, and
rebooted, but before the next backup
all will be good in the world.

If I don't then I will have new DB entries for the node and full backups.

So back to my original question. How would I rename 26,000 "filespace" names
between the time the script runs which changes
the name and the next backup?

Hope this helps!

Cris Robinson
Sr. Technical Analyst
Enterprise Storage Management / TSM (ADSM)
Liberty Mutual Insurance
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
603.431.8400.54837