ADSM-L

CLEAN ARCHDIR ... any experience?

1999-11-30 08:32:10
Subject: CLEAN ARCHDIR ... any experience?
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:32:10 +0000
Hi,

Inspired by the recent reminder that CLEAN ARCHDIR exists now to get rid
of duplicate archive entries I decided to run it on a node I know has a
lot of duplicate directory entries - but am very puzzled by the statistics
given in QUERY PROC while it was running:

adsm> q proc 2072

 Process Process Description  Status
  Number
-------- -------------------- -------------------------------------------------
   2,072 CLEANUP ARCHDIR      Processed 1008 directories for this node: scanned
   2,072 CLEANUP ARCHDIR      Processed 1008 directories for this node: scanned
                               3914269 directories, found 6972 duplicates.

I can believe the first and last figures but find the middlscannede one very
surprising indeed.  The whole DB is only 304,082 used pages (mostly
archive and hsm) and a query occ sums up to only about 400,000 archived
files in total.

I cancelled the process  - which logs no summary statistics in the activity
log - and hope someone can please tell me what "scanned 3914269 directories"
is referring to?  Is this likely to be correct?  I can't see I have that many
directories.  I used the following :

  CLEAN ARCHDIR nodexxx format=det fix=yes

Code is ADSM 3.1.2.42 on AIX 4.2.1.

It seems a bit picky on the command syntax as well : I got nowhere with
specifying a jobid and format=detailed wasn't acceptable.  Can anyone put
me right on the syntax/usage.  [Taken from 3.1.2.42 server readme - nothing
in adsm internal help.]

Thanks!
Sheelagh
Sheelagh Treweek                   Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                   Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services           Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK           Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275