ADSM-L

Re: I cannot restore data (and keep getting this message returned !)

1999-11-24 08:46:26
Subject: Re: I cannot restore data (and keep getting this message returned !)
From: "Bates, Richard" <Richard.Bates AT VERTEX.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:46:26 -0000
Chris

Could be a couple of reasons.  Are you trying to restore the archive data as
the user who initially performed the archives?

Failing that, it could be to do with a "rogue filespaces" problem we had
only last week.  Our users archive on a daily basis and we had log files to
prove that the data was on the ADSM server.

However when we attempted a retrieve (or q archive) we could not see the
data.  I performed some select statements on the ADSM server to confirm that
the data was actually there!

Eventually I found that some rogue filespaces were being created.  I suggest
you do a "df" (are you on UNIX?)  and a "dsmc q files" on the client.  You
might see that some extra filespaces have been added to ADSM which are not
really filespaces.  For example last week we had:

*       a filesystem called /oradata/test1-01, under which we had archived
all subdirectries and files.
*       The user could not retrieve data from the directory
/oradata/test1-01/static
*       adsm had created a rogue filespace called /oradata/test1-01/static.
(which was not a fs but a directory).  This extra mount point was causing
problems.
*       the server confirmed that no data was backed up under the filespace
of /oradata/test1-01/static (via q occu)
*       I deleted the filespace /oradata/test1-01/static from the adsm
server and the user could retrieve the data.  Alternatively try putting {}
round the fs name in the retrieve command.

I have since found out that on one of my ADSM servers there are  some 1000+
of these rogue filespaces, which are not filesystems but directories.
Something strange is going on.
Let me know how you can get on.

Richard.

Technical Services (ADSM) - Dawson House
Int: 33298  Ext: 01925 233298

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com