ADSM-L

Re: Storage media inaccessible in a 3494 library

1999-11-17 15:41:16
Subject: Re: Storage media inaccessible in a 3494 library
From: William Boyer <wboyer AT PTD DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:41:16 -0500
You need to look at the SYSLOG around this time to see what the operating
system messages were. As far as ADSM is concerned, there were available
drives because he wasn't using them, but other jobs in the system could have
used the available drives and the operator was givin an allocation error and
cancelled the request. Another problem I have seen is that the library
inventory maintained by OAM (part of OS390) has the volume as a scratch
tape. The system will not allow you to request a volser for what he thinks
is a scratch tape. You may have to alter the volumes status in the library
using ISMF. If you don't have access, you may have to speak with the tape
librarian or system programmers about getting this resolved. You should also
check the tape management system to make sure that this volser is an ADSM
tape.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.