ADSM-L

Where are all these filespaces comnng from??

1999-11-17 12:47:29
Subject: Where are all these filespaces comnng from??
From: "Bates, Richard" <Richard.Bates AT VERTEX.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:47:29 -0000
ADSM Server 3.1.2.20 + 3.1.2.40 (AIX)
ADSM Client 2.1.0.8 (AIX) + 3.1.0.6 (DEC UNIX)

Two of our clients recently reported that they could not retrieve
certain archived files.  I shall not bore you with all the details,
but in summary it transpires that "rogue" filespaces are being
created on the ADSM server.  These filespaces are not fileystems
on the UNIX clients and never have been.  However they are
subdirectories of the filesystem we are trying to retrieve the
files from.  A q occu on the server displayed no occupancy
for these extra filespaces.

For example:

FILESYSTEM                      /oradata/test-1-nhhda
EXAMPLE ARCHIVED FILE   /oradata/test-1-nhhda/static/mytestfile

When we tried to retrieve a file:

dsmc retr /oradata/test-1-nhhda/static/mytestfile

returned with "No files match specified search criteria"

LIkewise a

dsmc q archive /oradata/test-1-nhhda/static/ -subdir=yes

returned with "No files match specified search criteria"

However a

dsmc q archive /oradata/test-1-nhhda/ -subdir=yes

listed all the files.

When I did a q files on the client (and server) I noticed the following
filespaces

/oradata/test-1-nhhda           (correct)
/oradata/test-1-nhhda/static    (incorrect - this is not a fs)

In summary, I had over 40 extra filespaces that were actually just
subdirectories of another filesystem.

To allow the user to retrieve his files I have had to delete these extra
filespaces (and empty) filespaces.

Has anyone ever seen this before??  We are not using virtualmountpoint or
anything clever like that either.

Richard.

Technical Services (ADSM) - Dawson House
Int: 33298  Ext: 01925 233298

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com