ADSM-L

Re: Storage media inaccessible in a 3494 library

1999-11-17 13:00:37
Subject: Re: Storage media inaccessible in a 3494 library
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:00:37 -0700
        Hmm, we saw a similar problem in our 3494 library when we upgraded
to the 3590E drives. Perhaps this is like your problem, maybe not...

        It was hard to catch it in the act, because it was intermittent, but
when we finally did, we saw that the gripper tried to load the tape in the
drive, but it never successfully loaded. The tape was just millimeters from
being loaded, and if we paused the library and tapped the tape, it would
load.
        Some of the symptoms we saw were:
        1. "q sess f=d" and "q proc" would show very long "waiting for mount
of volume..." times.
        2. On the 3494 interface, we could see that it thought the tapes
being requested were loaded, but ADSM never mounted them.
        3. Eventually the drive would time out an and become unavailable (I
think, my memory is a little fuzzy on this point).

        Our CE tried many things:
        1. Reteach library about the location of the drives ( no change).
        2. Load the latest drivers (no change).
        3. Put new belts on the grippers (no change).

        What he eventually determined was that on all 3590 drives, there is
a spring loaded flap in the mouth of the drive that holds the tape so it
won't fall out while waiting for the gripper to retrieve the tape. On the
3590E drives, instead of one spring holding the flap, there are 2 springs.
If you manually try to pull a tape out of a drive, you will notice that they
are alot harder to pull out on the 3590e drives than the 3590B drives.

        The higher tension of the 2 springs (and the increased friction)
kept the tape from sliding all the way into the drive and caused our
problem. Our CE removed the extra spring from the 3590E drives and we have
not had the problem since.

Ben