ADSM-L

How to do long term archive

1999-11-17 09:47:46
Subject: How to do long term archive
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:47:46 -5
Were evaluating *SM (I like that!).  Where were having trouble
understanding *SM is in long term archives.

Our Netware people keep One full backup per month for 13 months, and
one full backup per year for 7 years. Just a couple days ago a user
needed to get a directory from a Netware server from several years
ago.  The question is, how to best do this with *SM?

We had IBM/Tivoli in last week.  When we asked this question they
suggested that we setup 3 separate clients for each netware server.
Each client would run an incremental backup on a different schedule.
One would run daily and be used for normal restores, another would
run monthly and keep 13 versions, and the 3rd would run yearly and
keep 7 versions.  From my understanding, this would result in 3 sets
of backup data with all indexes online.  It sounds like we would blow
the DB before long!

Question:

  What is the best way to implement a long term archive?

I remember a discussion a few months ago about doing periodic exports
of client data. Is it possible/practical to monthly  export the
current version of all files for a client  and keep that tape for as
long as you want?  This is effectively what they do today - they take
a full backup that has expired, label the tape and throw it on a
shelf.  If they need it, they  scan it back into the backup package
to recreate the file indexes and perform the restore.

Thanks for any help!

rick

Richard L. Rhodes     e: rhodesr AT firstenergycorp DOT com
Richard L. Rhodes     e: rhodesr AT firstenergycorp DOT com
Ohio Edison Co.       p: 330-384-4904
                      f: 330-384-2514