ADSM-L

Moving existing ADSM clients to a new policy domain

1999-11-17 08:59:56
Subject: Moving existing ADSM clients to a new policy domain
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:59:56 +0000
Hi,
We have some large netware data servers with many gbs of data stored on
hundreds of 3490 cartridges.  We have ADSM  3.1.2.40 on OS390 as the host.

We wish to move the data for these servers onto new high capacity tapes
(stk 9840s) in the least user disruptive way.
I know I can create a new managment class to do the job, but this will
mean changing the dsm.opts to reference this management class for each
of the clients involved.
I was thinking as an alternative of creating a new policy domain, and
directing to use the new tapes via the default managment class.
I could then assign the data servers to the new domain.
If I make sure that the active policy set contains management classes of
the same name as in the previous domain (to avoid rebinds) and if I redo
the schedules in the new policy domain will this do the trick?
Will the scheduler need to be reloaded on the clients?
Are there other implications I have not considered?
Thanks

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy plc.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission.

Scottish Hydro-Electric and Southern Electric are trading names of
Scottish and Southern Energy Group