ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Exchange

1999-11-16 12:06:49
Subject: Re: TDP for Exchange
From: Keith Nelson <knelson AT OPENMIC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:06:49 -0600
Frederic,

Thanks for your response. It appears that I didn't paint a very clear
picture in my original posting. I'd like to share more and see if anyone out
there has additional feedback.

> Exchange being the product it is, I would not dream of putting something
> else on the same server... Even Microsoft does not recommend installing
> other products such as SQL, Site server etc on the same server as
> Exchange...

I agree that NT is not the most robust OS for hosting multiple applications
but given the current architecture of ADSM, we are left with little choice
given the requirements we're faced with. I realize that performance and
stability of the OS are real issues, do you know of any specific reasons why
Microsoft does not recommend hosting other applications on the same NT
server?

> Using the Connect Agent on the same server with both Exchange and
> ADSM will
> still send data through the Network... ADSM is a Client-Server
> product... It
> uses IP to route data... (I did not try IP address 127.0.0.1...(local
> loopback) might this work?))

Yeah, it would be nice if the NT client support something like a SHAREDMEM
option, but I don't think it does. Our goal isn't so much to bypass the IP
stack (although that would be nice) as it is to deliver tape pooling and
dynamic allocation across Fibre with multiple ADSM servers of various
flavors and not move data across the LAN.  Any thoughts?

> ADSM is the heart of your backup strategy... it worth the investment of a
> dedicated server...

I agree but that won't help up to meet our customer's acceptance criteria.

Regards,

Keith

Keith Nelson                 Voice: 612.891.2867
Gresham Enterprise Storage   Fax:   612.891.4763
knelson AT openmic DOT com          Web:   http://www.gresham-computing.com