ADSM-L

Re: Using Backint for restore of SAP/Oracle from scratch

1999-11-16 11:16:47
Subject: Re: Using Backint for restore of SAP/Oracle from scratch
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:16:47 -0500
I don't know if there's anything *additional* required for an NT environment
but in an AIX environment, there's a bootstrapping process required.

To use sapdba to restore the database, you will need the back<SID>.log and
the <whatever>.anf or <whatever>.aff files from the sapbackup directory.
These are saved at the end of a backup; I've never tried to pull them down
with sapdba. We also run an increm,ental of the sapbackup directory and get
them from the incremental. There's also a process documented for using
backint directly to retrieve files.

Once these two files are down, use sapdba to retrieve the control file
cntrl<SID>.dbf. With the control file down, you can use sapdba to restore
the entire database.

In essence, the back<SID>.log lists all of the backup set files (the .aff
and .anf logs); sapdba will only list those that are present on disk as
possible recovery sets. The control file has all the database path
information, and sapdba uses it to determine which files to recover.

Hope this helps . . .

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc.