ADSM-L

Re: Moving copy storage pool to different device type

1999-10-27 15:44:18
Subject: Re: Moving copy storage pool to different device type
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:44:18 -0400
I was in this situation about a year ago.  I think the simplest thing to
do is to define a new copypool based on the 3590 device class.  Backup
your primary pools to it & send the tapes offsite.  Then list the volumes
in the 3490 based copypool and issue 'delete volume <volser> discarddata=yes'
for each volume.  Delete the copypool definition when all the volumes have
been deleted.

This method will cause some database expansion as you have to carry
2 copypool pointers for a while.  If you are still growing this doesn't matter;
you get the space back when you delete the old pool but the space will be in
little pieces throughout the db.  If you can't afford the extra db space
you might think of going naked for a while, that is, delete the old copypool
first then
backup to the new copypool.

There really isn't a "move storagepool" command.

--