ADSM-L

Re: Backup of DHCP-client computers

1999-09-29 02:45:54
Subject: Re: Backup of DHCP-client computers
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:45:54 +0200
Walter de Jong <walter AT SARA DOT NL> wrote:
> The server is noting that the node has changed IP-address
> and asks for the password. This is done so you can restore
> your backups to a different machine, when a client machine
> has broken down due to faulty hardware (for example).

That may be right.  However, in the present case the ADSM
client ALREADY knows the correct ADSM password (it is only
the IP address that has changed owing to DHCP).  So there
seems to be no good reason for the ADSM server to distrust
the ADSM client and require a manual password entry !
Also, please note this observation:
> The client ADSM password DOES change with the IP-address as
> noted by Mauro.TINELLI AT ST DOT COM.

I think that we are still missing the full story of ADSM
passwords and IP-addresses.

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark,