ADSM-L

Re: The ADSM Disaster Recovery test.

1999-09-28 10:30:00
Subject: Re: The ADSM Disaster Recovery test.
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:30:00 -0400
> I have 3 types of clients, NT, AIX, HP.  ADSM server is running on
> RS/6000-AIX.
> Prior to going live, I need to do a complete Disaster Recovery Test on
> each system.
> What would be the most assuring test on each system, I need steps on
> each system.
> Please share with me your experiences and tests which you have done
> prior to go-live
> on any of these systems.

Some disaster recovery plans make a point of obtaining identical or very
similar replacements for destroyed hardware. Others do not, giving rise to the
possibility of recreating a system on a significantly different hardware
configuration than the original system had. If your plan falls in the latter
category, tests should include restoration on disimilar hardware.

We have not had much trouble restoring HP-UX and AIX systems to disimilar
hardware. The main issue was rearranging logical volumes and file systems to
fit on different sized physical disks. The operating system restoration
procedures seem to take care of other configuration differences automatically.
Windows NT is another matter. Procedures for restoration on disimilar hardware
are considerably more complicated than procedures for restoration on matching
hardware.

My site's disaster recovery plans involve a hot site vendor. We have scheduled
test time at the hot site and restored some of our critical systems on
hardware installed there. The Unix replacement systems had different physical
disk configurations than their production counterparts, and the Windows NT
replacement systems had very different configurations than their production
counterparts.

A complete set of disaster recovery tests will include recreating the ADSM
server and its host system. DRM (Disaster Recovery Manager) is an optional
feature of the ADSM server that facilitates this process. We have been very
pleased with the MVS version of DRM. I have no first-hand experience with the
Unix version of DRM, but other contributors to ADSM-L seem to be favorably
impressed with it.