ADSM-L

GUI client on Solaris system

1999-09-27 16:40:07
Subject: GUI client on Solaris system
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:40:07 -0400
My site has a 3.1.2.20 server running under MVS. Recently the system
administrator for a Solaris client system needed to restore some files. He
started up the GUI, requested a point in time restore of a single file,
selected a restore location different from the original location, and told the
GUI to proceed with the restore. The GUI status indicator showed the dreaded
"Preparing..." status for minutes on end before we gave up and used the
command line interface. As noted above, he was only trying to restore one
file. There were eight versions of the file stored on the ADSM server. A
'query node' command reports a Solaris level of 5.6 and an ADSM client level
of 3.1.0.6. Does anyone have any ideas for getting acceptable performance from
the GUI client in this environment?

I am well aware that the GUI client has crippling performance problems when
asked to restore large numbers of files, but I thought it worked reasonably
well with small numbers of files. It now appears that even that is doubtful.
More and more, the GUI client looks like a toy that has no place in any
serious data protection plan.