ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:39:22
All of aou small clients use DHCP, with no problems. The key is:

After change of the IP-Adress you have to contact your ADSM-Server, =
during
this "handshake" the client transmits his IP-Address. As normaly the =
change
of the IP-Address causes a reboot of the client and during the reboot =
of
the client the scheduler is started so  the IP-Address is alway up to =
date.

Concerning the password what about PASSWORDACCES GENERATE in the =
dsm.opt
file?

Kind Regards
Andreas Buser

Tel: ++41 61 285 73 21  Fax: ++41 61 285 70 98

Email: Andreas.Buser AT Basler DOT ch

Address:
Basler Versicherungsgesellschaft
Andreas Buser
Abt. Informatik
Aeschengraben 21
4002 Basel
Switzerland

                    Ole Holm Nielsen
                    <Ole.H.Nielsen@FYS        An:     =
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    IK.DTU.DK>                Kopie:
                    Gesendet von:             Thema:  Backup of =
DHCP-client
computers
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected].

                    24.09.99 14:19
                    Bitte antworten an
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

We have computers whose network addresses are dynamically
assigned through DHCP, and which we would like to become
ADSM backup clients.  However, the dynamic IP-numbers
seem to present a problem.

The DHCP-clients (typically PCs running Linux, and using the
"unsupported" ADSM client software) may change IP-address daily.
Even if I assign a permanent ADSM name to the client
(e.g., "karsten"), I find that when a new IP-address is
used, the dsmc backup client asks for the node password
(which the users generally don't have).  The plan is
actually to run the ADSM in the background (using the UNIX
crontab) where passwords cannot be used.

Will I be forced to give up dynamic IP-addresses in order
to use ADSM ?  That's not so nice when IP-numbers are
in demand, and some portable PCs may actually be away
for lengths of time.

I guess that server-side schedules won't do any good,
because the server would never know the IP-address of
the client node "karsten".

Does anyone have a good solution ?

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark,