ADSM-L

new server

1999-09-23 11:02:15
Subject: new server
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:02:15 -0400
> I want to move all of my client files from one server to another. Here is
the
> scenario I have an adsm server with a 8mmlibrary. This server and library
are
> too
> small.
> I have a new adsm server with a magstar 3494 library. I want to move all
client
> data from one library to the other with the least amount of headache,
heartache,

> and hassle. I want to retire the old server asap and still have access to
all
> backed up client files. We estimate that a server export would take about 90
hrs

> so that really isn't an option. Any ideas?

If both servers use the same operating system and the new one is capable of
supporting simultaneous connections to both tape libraries, you could do
something like the following:

1.Stop client backup sessions.
2.Force complete migration of disk storage pool contents to tape.
3.Back up the ADSM database on the old server.
4.Recable the old tape library to the new server.
5.Restore the ADSM database to the new server.
6.Define the new tape library and its drives to ADSM on the new server.
7.Define storage pools using the new library.
8.Update disk storage pools to migrate to the new tape storage pools.
9.If any copy groups write directly to tape, update them to write to the new
tape storage pools.
10.Resume client backups.
11.Update the old storage pools to make the new storage pools their migration
destinations.
12.Force complete migration of the contents of the old storage pools.
13.Delete the old storage pools, tape drives, and tape library.