ADSM-L

Tivoli Sotage Manager v3.7 Update

1999-09-21 01:21:31
Subject: Tivoli Sotage Manager v3.7 Update
From: Don Caronna <dcaronna AT TTANK DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:21:31 -0700
Hi all,

I am at the Tivoli Storage Manager Roadshow in San Jose, California and thought
you might like some highlights of a few
of TSM's new features. They seem to be on-track to having the best product
available. I was very impressed
with the changes being made. Especially the exploitation of SAN technology to
move data between storage
pools. And in 2Q2000 - Server-free data movement within the SAN environment.

Here are some highlights:

New Rebranded Tivoli Storage Management

·         Base Product: Tivoli Storage Manager
     The Server and Backup/Archive clients
     Includes Enterprise Administration and Server-to-Server features.
     The Server to Server feature may seem nominal to smaller customers, but it
allows the splitting
     of storage pool hierarchies, i.e.- splitting up drives in a tape library.
Also, it provides expandability.
     Optionally priced server features are: Network Enabler, Extended Device
Support, User
     Registration, Open Systems Support(S/390).
     Integration with Tivoli Enterprise and other Tivoli Products.

   Complimentary Products

 Tivoli Disaster Recovery Manager (DRM)
     It does not include the Disk Image Dump. A new bare metal restore
procedure is being developed
     now. It will be out in the next few months. They found that very few
customers were using this
     product. They will use OEM technology on this…
 Tivoli Data Protection for: Oracle, Informix, MS SQL Server, MS Exchange,
Lotus Domino (R5),
     Lotus Notes and SAP R/3(1Q2000). Sybase will still use BMC’s SQL Backtrack.
     Note: “Tivoli Data Protection for” is the new name for Connect Agents.
 Tivoli Data Protection for Workgroups (NT and Novell – 12/99)
     This is a new product. It can run without the TSM server. This will also
provide Bare Metal Restore
     for NT and Novell. I still don’t have all the details, but Tivoli is
positioning this product to the SMB
     market.
 Tivoli Space Manager (HSM)

New Features

·    Performance Feature: Rapid Recovery
    This is a portable backup set created at the server. If you have the same
media device at the client,
     you can send a backup tape to the client and restore its data “rapidly”,
removing any strain from the
     network or TSM server – it will have nothing to do with the restore.
     I think that this feature will not be used much. A customer with a 3494
will not have a 3590 drive
     out at the client. But for DRM purposes, you could backup all of your NT
and all of your UNIX
     servers to small SCSI tape devices and have those same, inexpensive
devices at your clients.
     This feature is not good for a high volume of clients, but for critical
business servers.

·    Performance Feature: Instant Archive
    This is awesome! You can schedule an Administrative job that will create an
archive from existing
     backups within the TSM server. Instead of using server cycles and network
bandwidth, let TSM
     move data from previously backed up data(i.e.- daily incrementals), to a
new archive in any storage
     pool.
    The Instant Archive feature allows for Volume Level Tracking and is Policy
Managed.

·    Performance Feature: Logical Volume Dumps
     Raw Logical Volume support –
     This feature will support Full+ Incremental. Tivoli does not want us to
advertise this because it
     goes against the “Progressive Backup” philosophy, but they know that it
can add flexibility in
     selling. In situations that applications reside on raw volumes, this
feature can be used in cases
     there is not a connect agent – or should I say – TDP (Tivoli Data
Protection…) I did not get a
     firm answer to the question: Even in cases that there is a connect agent,
is the new Logical Volume
     Dump a good, safe replacement?

·    Performance Option: Self Tuning
   Supposedly it will self tune the server. Are they trying to take consulting
dollars away from us? I
     doubt they will. We will see on this one…

·    SAN Integration
    This is the future. This will integrate a backup solution application
(TSM), with SAN technology.
     We can bundle ESS/Shark with TSM. Companies are asking about SAN now. They
will
     implementing it in the next year. If we have techs that can implement
ESS, SAN…And techs doing
     TSM – we will be the service leader in SAN and backup systems
implementation! Wait until you
     hear how Tivoli will exploit SAN technology…

·    LAN-Free Data Movement: Tape Pooling (1Q2000)
     Utilizing Fiber Channel technology in all of its SAN exploitation, Tivoli
Storage Manager will
     allow the SAN to be attached to a tape library and TSM will let the SAN
intelligence move the
     data between disk and tape pools.

·    LAN-Free Data Movement: Client Transfer (1Q2000)
     This feature will work in a SAN environment or on non-SAN attached disk.
     The client API will move the data.
     The server will manage the storage hierarchy, reclamation and DRM, but the
data is moved between
     the client and the storage pool, saving TSM server cycles and reduces the
network load.

·    Server-Free Data Movement (2Q2000)
      Let the SAN do it all. TSM will exploit the SAN technology and will allow
the following
      server-free processes:
      Backup/Restore, Archive/Retrieve
      Tivoli Space Manager (HSM)
      Storage pool migrationa nd tape reclamation
      Disaster Recovery
     Return on Investment will go up for LAN and CPU. You will be able to take
backups off of your
     LAN and server. Of course, this is in a SAN, shared disk environment.

·    Mobile Support
    Check this out – Almaden Research has patented an Adaptive Differencing
Technology that will be
     integrated into the backup archive client (doesn’t cost extra). This
technology allows TSM to
     backup clients on a byte and block level difference. In other words – TSM
will backup only the
     changed bytes of a file – not the whole file every time it is changed! Now
when you backup over
     modem, you are sending a minimal amount of data. Also, this can save on
LAN bandwidth in a
     typical TSM environment we see today – without SAN.
    TSM will be State of the Art from Enterprise to Mobile. No more 3rd party
mobile backup software.

   Tivoli Integration
 Of course, TSM will have many hooks to plug into TME.

I hope this did something for you...

Thank You,

Don Caronna
Think Tank Systems, LLC
IBM CATE Certified Technician
Tivoli ADSM Certified Technician/Solutions Provider
Office: (562) 653-2520
Fax:    (562) 653-2560
Email: dcaronna AT ttank DOT com
Web: http://www.ttank.com