ADSM-L

Re: Database Growth

1999-09-20 10:19:33
Subject: Re: Database Growth
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT NERSP.NERDC.UFL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:19:33 -0400
=> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:14:06 +0100, Andy Perry <Andy.Perry AT
SCOTTISH-NEWCASTLE.CO DOT UK> said:

> [ ... ] the ADSM database seems to be growing still at a rate of about 30 Mb
> a day. Having read about some of the expiration problems experienced in
> earlier versions I upgraded the server to 3.1.2.40 last week, but I'm still
> seeing the same growth.

> Most of the daily activity is incremental backups with a number of daily
> archives taken of some directories with a 40 day retention. [ ... ]

How many copies of various backup files are you maintaining?  If the number is
large, you could have a significant fraction of your files still approaching
steady-state database occupation.  We have one client who, during peak times,
wants to maintain 40 copies of their backup files. (!)

Hm.  I'm thinking you could hammer a measure of "what's the average number of
copies currently extant for files on this node" out of a select; that could be
a measure...

Allen S. Rout