ADSM-L

Re: Copy reclamation pool

2015-10-04 17:39:21
Subject: Re: Copy reclamation pool
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>Last week 6 of my copy pool tape had a percent of reclamation over 80%...

>Please help I'm stuck with 6 tapes that are only 1% full

Jonathan - An unenviable position.  A good opportunity to hold in front
           of your managers to say "This is why a second 3590 drive
is necessary and should be acquired."
    Anyway... You can't use RECLAIMSTGpools with Copy Storage Pools.
You can't have a "volume" of devclass File participate in the Copy Storage
Pool so that you can do a Move Data to disk space.  So you're a bit stuck
in the ADSM rule structure.
    But consider... A Copy Storage Pool volume contains the same data
that is in the Primary Storage Pool.  If you delete a Copy Storage Pool
volume containing very little data, the files remain in the Primary pool,
and so if you perform a Backup Stgpool immediately after the delete
finishes, the little data that was on that tape conceptually transfers
to another tape.  Keep the window of "single backup copy of the data"
as small as possible by performing such an operation on only Copy Storage
Pool volumes containing minimal data, and doing the steps as soon as
possible in sequence.  Such is the price of having only one tape drive.
       Richard Sims, BU