ADSM-L

Re: DATA BASE ENTRIES

1999-09-15 14:13:22
Subject: Re: DATA BASE ENTRIES
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:13:22 -0400
>  Could any of you explain to me the difference in the data base entry size for
>an archived file vs. a backup of the same file. We are running ADSM server for
>OS/390 V3.1.2.40. We are deleting some old ARCHIVE data for a client (about
>7,000,000 files) and the data base % is dropping lower than I had anticipated.

Brian - The last numbers I have about db entry size is about 700 bytes for a
        base database entry, with a Copy Storage Pool shadow adding some 200
bytes to the entry.  (HSM: 143 bytes + filename length.)  I don't know if
there is any distinction between Backup and Archive types.  You might be
seeing a greater reduction when a backup entry is deleted depending upon your
Versions values in your Copy Group definitions.  It's common to have more
backup images than archive images.
    Richard Sims, BU