ADSM-L

Re: Charge back system

1999-09-14 08:48:01
Subject: Re: Charge back system
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:48:01 -0400
It's my opinion that you are providing insurance.  You should do some
behind the scenes work to be sure that you're operating most cost
effectively, but then you should set a flat rate per client per year.
If you feel that some are way bigger or way more trouble than others,
then create classes of clients.  For example, clients over 5GB get a
different price than small clients.

As to the previous suggestion of scaling charges between expensive disk
and cheap tape, I don't think the client can control that distribution.
Since it's up to the ADSM server admins to manage that, don't put it
into the charging algorithm.

ADSM scales so well that it should be a real challenge for your clients
to secure their data better and cheaper than you can do centrally.

Just another random opinion from Rich Dempsey

At 03:48 PM 9/13/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Work for a large utility with 50 servers using ADSM. We are splitting off
>approximately  10 of those servers to another company and we are going to
>continue doing incremental and archive backups' using ADSM. Wondering how I
>can create a manageable charge back system to show the costs of resources
>for these specific servers only. Any one have experience with this? Doing
>the same thing?
>
>Currently have ADSM MVS V2.1 upgrading to V3.1 in next month. Several
>platforms for servers but the 10 servers to be separated are Unix.
>
>Thanks much!

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company              fax:   716-722-3885
Rochester, NY 14650-2203