ADSM-L

Re: Exchange 5.5 Restore Problems

1999-09-10 13:33:15
Subject: Re: Exchange 5.5 Restore Problems
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:33:15 -0400
Barry,

We do have many customers running Exchange 5.5 on NT 4
backing up and restoring their IS database without problems.

A few things to consider before calling IBM service...

Are you sure the Exchange IS database was OK
BEFORE the backup was taken? Had you run the integrity
checker before the backup to verify it was OK?
Normally, if there is an integrity problem, you
get an error during backup (checksum).  But there
was a Microsoft bug (X5: 102736) that had to
deal with Exchange Server not catching this problem
during backup.  The associated knowledge base
article is Q230215.  Please take a look.

...and I assume you are specifying the "ERASEEXISTING" option
during the restore process (default is no).

Is this happening on ALL of your Exchange 5.5 servers?
If not, then you may have taken a bad backup and
it could be related to the Microsoft bug mentioned above.

If you are still seeing problems, please contact IBM service.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler