ADSM-L

Re: ADSM v.2.1 MVS Server On OS/390 v.2.6

1999-09-09 21:16:21
Subject: Re: ADSM v.2.1 MVS Server On OS/390 v.2.6
From: Gary Johnson <GJOHNSO AT CLEAR.CO DOT NZ>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:16:21 +1200
Hi all,
        My thanks to those of you that responded to my request.  We were
unfortunately unable to resolve our problem.  Even IBM was unable to help.
So we had to bypass it instead.

In order to meet our deadline for upgrading the Mainframe operating system
software, we decided to upgrade the ADSM server to 3.1 lvl 2.0, without our
usual intensive testing. (I don't recommend this, but we were between a rock
and a hard place).

The ADSM server upgrade was done on 03/08/99, and ran without problems under
OS/390 v.1.2. The conversion of the ADSM database took less than 5 minutes.
On 07/08/99 the Mainframe operating system software was upgraded to OS/390
v.2.6.  Everything went without a hitch.

WARNING
One warning I would make however, is in regards to the Quick Start manual
(for MVS).  We utilise the TSO Admin client at our site, and the
instructions for setting this client up are non-existent in the manual.  The
ANSADM module (with alias DSMADMC) needs to be re-linked out of the SMP LTS
pds library. We eventually found the required information within some
members in our SYS1.SAMPLIB pds library -  ANRDDDEF and ANSDDDEF.
Documentation for running the CALLLIBS job (SMPE job that creates the he
linkedit job) was found in ADSM Program Directory document.  The linkedit
job needs to be run to allow TCP/IP and Language Environment to be linked
into the ADSM TSO client module.

The version 2 ADSM manuals included covered this requirement, but the
version 3 ADSM manuals don't.  Hopefully IBM will rectify this, and ensure
that manuals for future ADSM versions, include the setting up of this
client.

Hope this helps.  Once again my thanks to those of you that endeavoured to
assist me in resolving our problem.

Gary Johnson
Operations Analyst  (Emergency Planning)
IT Operations
CLEAR Communications Ltd
cnr Taharoto & Northcote Roads, Takapuna,
Auckland, 1309, New Zealand.
floorzone: 2101
 phone:  (64-9)  912-4200
     DDI:  (64-9)  912-4984