ADSM-L

Antwort: Tape Storage Pool Usage

1999-09-09 08:32:18
Subject: Antwort: Tape Storage Pool Usage
From: Andreas Buser <andreas.buser AT BASLER DOT CH>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 14:32:18 +0200
It depends of the COLLOCATION mode you set.
Fs you set it on for client level, then for each client a tape is used. So
you will have at least one filling tape per client. If you even have
collocation on filespacelevel  the you get even worse.

Kind Regards
Andreas Buser

Tel: ++41 61 285 73 21  Fax: ++41 61 285 70 98

Email: Andreas.Buser AT Basler DOT ch

Address:
Basler Versicherungsgesellschaft
Andreas Buser
Abt. Informatik
Aeschengraben 21
4002 Basel
Switzerland

                    Dana Mitchell
                    <dnmitchell@EQUITABLE-OF        An:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                    -IOWA.COM>                      Kopie:
                    Gesendet von: "ADSM:            Thema:  Tape Storage Pool
Usage
                    Dist Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                    09.09.99 14:13
                    Bitte antworten an
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Hello,
We recently added STK 9840's and I pointed a couple of tape pools to the
new devices.  After a couple of days I noticed that it looked like there
were a number of volumes in 'FILLING' status.  But the next day new volumes
would be written on and the same ones remained in "FILLING" status.  I did
change the MAXCAPACITY for the appropriate device class to 80G and am
continuing to monitor tape usage, but I would appreciate if anyone can
explain (better than the Admin Guide) how tapes are selected.  I thought
that any tape that was not "FULL" but was "FILLING" would be written on
before a new scratch volume  requested.  The server is 3.1.1.2 under OS/390
2.4, colocation is not turned on.

Thanks in advance
Dana Mitchell