ADSM-L

Re: disk-pool performance

1999-09-07 05:19:38
Subject: Re: disk-pool performance
From: Walter Ridderhof <Walter.Ridderhof AT MAIL.ING DOT NL>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:19:38 +0100
     If I had it my way I'd have a four channel scsi system setup as as
     follows:

     channel 0, 2 disks RAID-1 for system software and applications
     channel 1, 3+ disks RAID-0 for primary ADSM DB + LOG
     channel 2, 3+ disks RAID-0 for secondary ADSM DB + LOG
                (let ADSM do the mirroring)
     channel 3, 6+ disks RAID-5  for diskpools.

     if I had 3 channels I'd put system soft+ apps on the RAID-5.

     I agree with 'Yikes' about the RAID-5 (I'm talking hardware RAID not
     NT RAID) bit if I had less than 6 drives to put into the RAID-5 but
     I'm very cautious where it concerns the possible loss of user data due
     to a disk crash (the user that deleted his file that was backed up
     yesterday but of which the file never reached the tape pool because a
     disk in the diskpool crashed, this scenario keeps haunting my mind).

     As for ther reflecting spindles, I have no problem with this when
     configuring ADSM on AIX combined with SSA disks but I feel very
     uncomfortable with this thought doing it on NT.

     some more reflection please,

     Walter Ridderhof