ADSM-L

Re: disk-pool performance

1999-09-06 10:54:13
Subject: Re: disk-pool performance
From: Walter Ridderhof <Walter.Ridderhof AT MAIL.ING DOT NL>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 15:54:13 +0100
     R. Masa, Ramesh,

     I'm sure the client to volume holds true for direct to tape backup, as
     a drive per client is assigned, but t'ill now I havent't heard the one
     on one client->disk stgpool volume strategy. As far as my knowledge
     goes all diskpool volumes are evenly filled with client data
     regardless the number of clients attached at any one time. Inside
     story is that ADSM assigns a disk read/write thread per defined disk
     storage pool volume, so having multiple volumes in a disk storage pool
     would certainly help write performance for that storage pool. If your
     running UNIX ADSM assigning a disk per volume wouldn't be a bad idea.
     Under NT, this depends if your using RAID or not, if not you can
     follow the UNIX strategy otherwise well, commonsense and a good bit of
     RAID knowledge will ultimately give you your answer.
     So far for NT and disk storage pools I've always gone for RAID-5 (3+
     disks) and made as many volumes as there were disks available (not
     backed by any performance measurements).

     If anyone has some real world experience on optimal ADSM
     DB/log/diskpool configurations I would sure like te hear about it.

     Walter Ridderhof, Mainland Sequoia

Author:  "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> at INET-1
Date:    9/2/99 10:17 AM

It is not recommended to have one large storage pool volume.  As each volume
can allow only one client at any given time to write to it, you should have
at least the same number of stg-pool volumes as the number of clients you
will backup in parallel.  This ensures that each client gets a storage pool
volume to dump data to on the server.

Also, if you have multiple disks spread out the volumes over these disks for
better I/O performance.

Hope this helps.

Ramesh