ADSM-L

dlt tape drives support for TapeAlert

1999-09-03 18:11:55
Subject: dlt tape drives support for TapeAlert
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 18:11:55 EDT
Like others we have had several problems with adsm V3 running on Windows NT
and DLT tapes.

While looking for better answers I found the web site for Quantum
at URL http://www.dlttape.com

While viewing the web site, I found a downloadable book
titled "DLT (tm) Platform Solutions Guide". Within this book was a
a section on "TapeAlert (tm)". This appears to be a new standard for
passing information on errors from dlt and other tape drives to the
backup software. A more standard and detailed set of errors and
warnings then the current scsi error messages that we see.

For more info on TapeAlert go to

      http://www.hp.com/tape/papers/tapealert.html

From my quick look, this standard appears to bring the DLT error
reporting system closer to that we would except on the mainframe.
Maybe better, since it defines standard easy-to-read user error
messages.

Does anyone know if IBM ADSM is looking at supporting this new standard?
The hp web site and the Quantum booklet report that vendors such
as HP, CA, Legato, NovaStor, STAC and VERITAS support this, but they
do not list IBM. (It appears that the VERITAS support is in the
BACKUPEXEC software that they purchased from Seagate).

PS Quantum wrote that the DLT7000 V70 and up microcode
   supports TapeAlert(tm).

Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room RB448                                  len.boyle AT sas DOT com
1 SAS Campus Drive                        (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
Cary NC 27513