ADSM-L

ADSM problems - with firewall and comm-wait

1999-08-31 18:29:07
Subject: ADSM problems - with firewall and comm-wait
From: Vijay Havaralu <vhavaralu AT CHUBB DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:29:07 -0400
I have a couple of questions here, regarding ADSM server MVS v 3.1.0,  with over
100
NT and UNIX clients.

1.  We could not connect ADSM through firewall,  by  NT 4.0 client initiation
or by  host initiation.  Firewall  supposed to allow  initiation of session from
the main-frame
server side.  But we could not initiate  tcp-ip  connection or server session
from
host MVS side.  I appreciate if any body have fixed this kind of problem; or any
suggesions you may have.

2.  We have normally see  relatively slow backups averaging less than  0.5
MB/sec
on  10Mbit/sec PC token ring;  and similar low rate on 100Mbit ether net.  We
tried to tune on server and client sides,  but not much of better results on
speed.
Also in the "dsmsched.log"  all the clients have over 90%  of comm-wait   and
less than 2%  on  idle-waits and media-waits.  Is it possible to reduce the
comm-wait
to much lower levels and increase the backup-speeds.  What are the main
parameters
to be looked into.  We again tried  performance tuning,  but did not do any
improvements
on comm-waits.

Vijay.