ADSM-L

ADSMconnect agent for Exchange throughput

1999-08-10 15:44:36
Subject: ADSMconnect agent for Exchange throughput
From: Eliza Lau <lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:44:36 -0400
ADSMers,

What throughput is everyone getting out of the ADSMconnect agent for Exchange?

The setup:
AIX 4.3.1 server running ADSM 3.1.2.13.
3494 with four 3590 drives (device data rate - 32G/hr)
ADSMconnect agent 1.1b
100mb ethernet connection for the ADSM server and the Exchange server

It takes the ADSMconnect agent 2.85 hours to backup the 8G Exchange database
with a network transfer rate of 3.04GB/hr.  I am using the performance settings
recommended in the "Using ADSM to Back Up and Recover Microsoft Exchange Server"
redbook.  It states that the throughput maximum that can be obtained for a
100mb Ethernet network is 34GB/hr.  I am getting only one tenth of that.
Where is my bottleneck?  I have asked our network people to look for
any network problems.  The ADSM server and the Exchange server are
in different subnets, but they are in the same room and only 30 feet from
each other.  Where else should I look?  Thanks.

dsm.opt:
TCPwindowsize   64
tcpbuffsize     32
txnbytelimit    25600
compression     off

 Eliza Lau
 Eliza Lau
 Virginia Tech Computing Center                email : eliza.lau AT vt DOT edu
 Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
 1700 Pratt Drive
 Blacksburg VA 24060                           phone : (540) 231-9399