ADSM-L

Re: 7337 library

1999-08-09 11:47:43
Subject: Re: 7337 library
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:47:43 -0400
On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Wu, Jie wrote:
> I attached two mails concerning the usage of device driver for IBM tape
> libraries. The first mail suggests that you do not need Atape driver for
> ADSM, the 2nd is opposite. which one is correct?

Believe Craig Bell, as he is in a position to know.  However, in Craig's
reply, technically, under Solaris, IBMtape only supports the
3570/3575/3490/3590 family, and is installed as it's own pkgadd
(/opt/IBMtape, with a IBMtape.conf file in /usr/kernel/drv).  Non-IBM
drives and libraries are supported via the mt/lb drivers, which are part
of the ADSM install (/opt/IBMadsm-s/bin/mt,lb,mttest,lbtest).  This is why
every upgrade of ADSM will require you to rem_drv and add_drv the mt/lb
drivers, but not the IBMtape driver (actually, I think the pkgrm command
runs the rem_drv mt and rem_drv lb commands).

> >Do NOT use Atape/IBMtape driver for 7331, 7337, or 7332
>
> > Forum:     ADSM - Archived Messages. (New Admin)
> > Date:        1998, Jun 25
> > From:       <rcbell AT US.IBM DOT COM>
>
>  There is some understandable confusion about which driver to use for SC= SI
> attached devices.  ADSM relies on the Atape driver for the Magstar family of
> tap= es and libraries (on AIX), but it relies on the device driver shipped
> with ADS= M for all others (DLT, 8mm, 4mm, QIC, optical drives, STK drives-
> did I miss any?)   The= confusion is that when the new 7331 library is
> purchased, it comes with a driver (At= ape on AIX, IBMtape on Solaris) for
> the robot to go with the generic OST driver for=  the drive. That's to
> support non-ADSM applications, but ADSM has its own driver fo= r these
> devices.
>
>  So to configure your 7331/7337, use Smit/Devices/ADSM Devices.   Select=
> the library and drive options from that panel, and the device special files=
> that you get are /dev/mtX and /dev/lbX (X =3D=3D some number from 0 to
> whatever).
>
>  On AIX, do NOT use /dev/rmtX.smc or /dev/smcX for the library robot.  (=
> Nor /dev/rmtX for 8mm or DLT drives.)   However, those are the files you
> would use fo= r 3570, 3575, 3590, and 3490.
>
>  On Solaris, the story is the same except that instead of Atape, it's kn=
> own as IBMtape, and the special files look slightly different.   For ADSM
> devices , they ar= e /dev/rmt/Xmt (drives) or /dev/rmt/Xlb (library).  For
> Magstar devices, = they're /dev/rmt/Xst (drives) or /dev/rmt/Xsmc (library).
>
>  Craig Bell
>  =

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,