ADSM-L

Re: OS/2 Restore with floppies

1999-07-28 15:10:49
Subject: Re: OS/2 Restore with floppies
From: Don Caronna <dcaronna AT TTANK DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:10:49 -0700
Nathan,
I believe they call it the DRM Disk Image Dump and Restore in V.3. I have seen
procedures on the ADSM website - they go
something like this:

Use a system with a CD-ROM drive and one of the following operating systems:
Microsoft DOS, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Windows 95,
Microsoft Windows NT, or IBM OS/2. Do the following:

  1.Ensure that you have six blank, high-density diskettes available.

  2.Insert the ADSM Version 3 server CD-ROM into the drive.

  3.Open a window to an operating system command prompt.

  4.At the command prompt, change the directory to point to the CD-ROM drive.

  5.Change to the directory that contains the diskette images, as follows:

    cd \DRMIMAGE\DISKETTE

  6.Insert a diskette, and enter this command:

    loaddskf drmboot.dsk a:

    Label the diskette DRMBOOT when the copy is complete.

  7.Repeat step 6, inserting a new diskette each time and using the following
commands:

    loaddskf drmdsk1.dsk a:

    loaddskf drmdsk2.dsk a:

    loaddskf drmadsm.dsk a:

    loaddskf drmadpt.dsk a:

    Label each diskette.

  8.If you need support for PCMCIA (for example, for notebook personal
computers), insert a diskette, and enter this command:

    loaddskf drmpcmc.dsk a:

    Label the diskette DRMPCMC when the copy is complete.

  9.If you want to customize these diskettes for a single user or a set of
users, do so now. See Supplying Customized Stand-alone Disk Image Dump and
    Restore Program Diskettes to Users.

The diskettes are now ready for use.

Booting the Machine and Configuring Diskettes

To use the Stand-alone Disk Image Dump and Restore program, you must boot the
machine that you want to back up using the diskettes created in the
section Creating Diskettes. You must then configure the diskettes to match the
machine's TCP/IP configuration and network adapter.

    Booting the Machine

  1.Shut down the machine.

  2.Insert the diskette labeled DRMBOOT into the diskette drive.

  3.Boot the machine.

    Several screens appear as the program creates a virtual disk in the
machine's random access memory (RAM) to contain the embedded operating
    system and working space.

  4.Insert the DRMDSK1 and DRMDSK2 diskettes when prompted by messages on the
screen.

  5.Insert the DRMADSM diskette when prompted by a message on the screen. The
program copies files to the virtual disk created in the machine's
    RAM.

    Configuring Diskettes

    You need to verify or set the TCP/IP and ADSM information.

  6.After some processing, a screen appears that contains configuration
information. Press Esc to enter or change the information. Press F4 when done.

|*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 |
    |;REM Edit the following values as necessary then press F4 Save to
continue.;    |
    |;REM (To change values press ESC key to toggle cursor into edit area.)
;    |
    |;
;    |
    |;REM TCP/IP Values
;    |
    |;SET ADDR=9.115.44.185
;    |
    |;SET SUBNET=255.255.254.0
;    |
    |;SET ROUTE=9.115.44.184
;    |
    |;
;    |
    |;REM ADSM Values
;    |
    |;SET NODENAME=MXDAISY
;    |
    |;SET COMMMETHOD=TCPIP
;    |
    |;SET TCPSERVERADDRESS=9.115.44.184
;    |
    |;SET TCPPORT=1500
;    |

|*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*

    This screen shows the minimum options that you must specify. You must enter
all TCP/IP addresses as numbers, not as names. The options are:

    SET ADDR
        The TCP/IP address for the machine. Obtain the numeric dotted IP
address from your LAN administrator.

    SET SUBNET
        The subnet mask. Obtain from your LAN administrator.

    SET ROUTE
        The router address. Obtain the numeric dotted IP address from your LAN
administrator.

    SET NODENAME
        The name of the ADSM client node for the machine using the Stand-alone
Disk Image Dump and Restore program. The client node name could
        be the same as that used by the ADSM backup-archive client on the
machine. However, it is recommended that a different node name be used
        for disk image dump and restore operations. Consult your ADSM
administrator.

    SET COMMMETHOD
        Always set to TCP/IP.

    SET TCPSERVERADDRESS
        The TCP/IP address of the ADSM server. Obtain the numeric dotted IP
address from your ADSM administrator.

    SET TCPPORT
        The TCP/IP port address used to communicate with the ADSM server.
Obtain the port number from your ADSM administrator.

    For more options, see CFGCOMM (Configure Communications and ADSM Options).
For example, you can select an ADSM management class that
    is different from the defaults.

  7.The program then displays some help text, and displays the command prompt.
Examine the second line of the help text (Diskettes configured
    for:). The first time you use a set of diskettes, this line shows the text
Diskettes configured for: No Network Adapter.
     Note:
          When you use a set of diskettes that have already been configured,
this line shows the name of an adapter. Ensure that the adapter name
          matches the adapter that is actually in the machine.

    Configuring the Network Adapter

  8.At the command prompt, enter the following command:

    cfgadapt

    A menu appears that offers options for identifying your network adapter:

    |Configure diskettes for network adapter in this machine.
     |

    |Select an option:
     |
    |  1. Try automatic network adapter detection.
     |
    |  2. Select your network adapter from a list.
     |
    |  3. Add your own network adapter device driver & NIF file.
     |
    |  0. Exit
     |

    |Advanced options:
     |
    |  4. Customize network adapter's operational parameters.
     |
    |  5. Install PCMCIA support.

  9.Make a selection from the menu.

    Most users can select 1. Try automatic network adapter detection. If that
option does not work, try selecting 2. Select your network adapter
    from a list. If you cannot find your network adapter in the list, you need
to add the device driver for your network adapter to the diskettes. See
    CFGADAPT (Configure Network Adapter Settings) for more details.

    The advanced options are suggested only for users who are very familiar
with network protocols or who are configuring diskettes for a notebook
    personal computer.

 10.Insert the diskettes DRMADPT, DRMDSK1, and DRMDSK2 when prompted by
messages on the machine. The program copies the device driver
    for the selected network adapter card from the DRMADPT diskette to where
the program needs it.

 11.When the program completes the copy of the driver, the program displays a
message. The diskettes are now configured for the machine. You can
    continue with using the program or end the program:

        To end the program, remove the diskette from the drive and boot the
machine normally.

        To continue with using the program, you must boot the machine again
using the DRMBOOT diskette. For details, see Backing Up a Disk Image
        Using Configured Diskettes or Restoring a Disk Image.

Hope this helps...

Thank You,

Don Caronna
Think Tank Systems, LLC
IBM CATE/ADSM Certified Technician/Solutions Provider
Office: (562) 653-2520
Fax:     (562) 653-2560
dcaronna AT ttank DOT com
www.ttank.com

Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM> on 07/28/99 05:15:57 AM