ADSM-L

ADSM backup for ISM

1999-07-28 15:09:45
Subject: ADSM backup for ISM
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:09:45 -0400
My site is attempting to perform ADSM backups of an ISM system running under
HP-UX 10.20. ISM is an implementation of Open M, which is a descendent of
Mumps. The tests so far have been carried out by shutting down ISM and running
an ADSM incremental backup. The results are typical of using file-oriented
backup facilities with a database system: updating a single record in the
database will cause one or more large files to be resent to the ADSM server at
the next backup. Each test has send about 25 gigabytes of data to the ADSM
server (with client compression enabled). ISM has facilities to perform
record-oriented incremental backups while ISM is up, but they do not seem to
be capable  of cooperating with ADSM in any reasonable way. As far as I can
tell, these facilities will send data to a disk file or a tape device, but not
to any sort of storage management software. Is there anything like
SQL-BackTrack or the ADSM Connect Agents available for backing up ISM and
sending the data to an ADSM server?