ADSM-L

Performance

1999-07-23 11:33:07
Subject: Performance
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:33:07 -0500
We have an ATM network with an OC-12 Backbone (622Mb/sec). This is the
greatest advantage we have.
Our NT Server hardware is similar to yourselves. - The Compaq Proliant. Our
Rs/6000 is an S7A running Aix4.3.2 , ADSM 3.1.2.20

We only experience this sort of throughput when it comes to backup/restore
of databases such as Oracle / Exchange.
Performance is also good when we backup large flat files. We have restored
entire MSA's on certain NT Servers made up of a myriad of small and large
file and gotten about 12Gb/hr overall.

However when it comes to restoring servers which are 90% small files then we
may aswell be on a 4Mb Token Ring. We once
had the grand oppurtunity to restore the drive of an SMS Server which was
made up of about 16Gb worth of 2Kb log files.
This took 27hrs.

The bottom line for me is that I don't think it matters how good your
hardware is - when it comes to small files Adsm just plain sucks! Even as we
move towards the SAN architecture and Lan-less backup all connected with
fibre channel devices, I really don't believe that it's going to buy you
anything if ADSM is spending most of it's time hammering away at it's
database.

Any thoughts?

Nathan