ADSM-L

Re: Recovery of Exchange - was: backing up Exchange

1999-07-23 08:53:19
Subject: Re: Recovery of Exchange - was: backing up Exchange
From: "Weeks, Debbie" <debbie AT ADMIN.USF DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:53:19 -0400
Our restores run just slightly slower than the backups, definately not
double the time, on our RS/6000 (3466 Netstor).  We have had some problems
with restores, though not really the connect agent's fault.

Recently we had to do a series of restores, and after each one we had to run
ESEUTIL on the IS before it would start.  The closest we could come in
determining the problem was that the server we were restoring to was at the
same level of Exchange, but not the same level of NT, as the server we had
taken the backup from.  As that server was in use by other apps it was
impossible to correct, so each restore took about one working day due to the
length of time it takes to run the utility.  There is some MS doc that
indicates that the server you are restoring to should be at the same release
of both NT and Exchange.  We have since set up a server dedicated to
Exchange restores, and insured that it was at the appropriate levels...still
had trouble, but different errors.  I have been too busy with other things
to really investigate these errors, but our past experience has been that we
can recover, it just might take some time.