ADSM-L

AFS and dsm/dsmafs client programs

1999-07-21 12:27:23
Subject: AFS and dsm/dsmafs client programs
From: Henning Soenke <hks AT IPP.MPG DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:27:23 +0200
Hi,

we have two problems with ADSM clients on our unix systems related to
our AFS installation. I'll describe both problems here. Could be helpful
for a solution:

1. Problem with command dsm:

   dsm's "backup" and "archive" windows do not show
   the mounted AFS-filesystem /afs while all other network fileystems
   are visible. The problem appears on all unix workstation with all
   our (v3r1) clients: Solaris 2.5.1, 2.5.6/7 and AIX 4.3

   The problem does >not< appear on our MS-NT hosts.

   AFS-mountpoint on our unix workstations is /afs,
   on NT installations /afs/<our-afs-domain>.

   But: on unix workstation we can successfuly backup or archive
        parts of our /afs filesystem via the line mode command dsmc !

   And: the dsmafs command on AIX shows the /afs filesystem mount point.

2. Problem with command dsmafs:

   to avoid the typical click-tool-problem with an AFS-mountpoint /afs
   for privileged users (world-wide path searching) we tried to hide /afs
   for dsmafs - and for (theoretically .. compare 1. problem) dsm  -
   and to define other mountpoints of our local afs via option files. E.g.

   exclude.fs         /afs
  (include            /afs/<our-domain>)
   virtualmountpoint  /afs/<our-domain>/home/${USER}

 - exclude.fs seams the only way to suppress a visible /afs mountpoint.
   It works.
 - and here comes the problem:
   virtual mountpoints within the AFS-filesystem are >not always< visible.
   Mostly not:  ANS1837S File space /afs/<our-domain>/...... is ignored.
   Multiple calls of dsmafs within an "unchanged" environment can show
   different results.
   But: this mountpoint definition method seams to work on local filesystems.

   Reason ?
 - Incomplete initialization within the dsmafs-module ? no
 - Problem results from our general /afs mountpoint on unix systems ? perhaps
 - Problem depends on the local afs-cache contents ? perhaps
 - Bad mountpoint definition method of a newbie ? always a good reason

Thanks for your help,

           Henning

Henning Soenke
Rechenzentrum Garching der MPG                   phone: +49 +89 3299-1335
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Plasmaphysik              fax: +49 +89 3299-1301
Boltzmannstr. 2                                 e-mail: soenke AT rzg.mpg DOT de
D-85748 Garching (Munich), Germany/Allemagne      http: www.rzg.mpg.de