ADSM-L

Re: FW: Netware v4.11 client on ADSM

1999-07-14 18:55:40
Subject: Re: FW: Netware v4.11 client on ADSM
From: S W Branch <SWBRANC AT PPCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:55:40 -0500
Here's a somewhat different experience on this subject:

We had been using nwuser in the dsm.opt file, usually with only 2-3 instances of
this problem for about 3 years. Not long ago, I upgraded the adsm client on
about 6 netware 4.11 servers from 3.1.0.6 to 3.1.0.7 and the prompt began
appearing on each one that had been upgraded. I came in the next morning and
found that all the backups were waiting at the prompt. I replied to the prompts
and didn't get any errors, but it was already past the window for the backup
schedule so the schedule said it would try again at the next interval. The
following morning the prompt was there again and the backups had not run. I
found that I had to reply to the prompt during the schedule window (when the
client software got ready to connect to the TSA) before it would quit prompting
every night. I didn't have any more trouble after that except on one particular
server. By the way, we haven't rebooted them either.

I played around with this some yesterday just doing a non-scheduled incremental.
Interestingly enough, I just hit enter at the prompts and the client connected
to the TSA and the backup began running just fine. It evidently pulled the id
and password from the nwuser entry in the dsm.opt file.  I think there must be
some kind of problem with the sequence in which the tests are being done. It
seems that it should issue the prompt only if there is no .pwd file or nwuser
entry, but it appears that the sequence is now more like (step 1) look for the
.pwd file, (step 2) issue the prompt, (step 3) look at the nwuser entry. Anyway,
I gave up and started using the encrypted password file. The first time it
prompted me and then after it did not. That seemed to take care of my problems
with that one server.

Steve Branch
Phillips Petroleum
e-mail: swbranc AT ppco DOT com

Alan Winsor <WINSOR.A AT BCBSRI DOT ORG> on 07/14/99 04:20:00 PM

Any replies will be addressed to: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>