ADSM-L

Re: as/400 ADSM SERVER CRASH

1999-07-11 15:39:29
Subject: Re: as/400 ADSM SERVER CRASH
From: Leonid Sirotinsky <lsirotinsky AT IAA.GOV DOT IL>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 21:39:29 +0200
Hi, Jonathan!
Komo Savar?

I think that your problem is the method you move data from
your disk pool to your tape pool.

I Was doing a migration from a disk pool to
my tape pool and Then the server went down,  I tried it again same thing,
the same thing happen with a regular Move data operation.

Instead of Move data command you have to use the following command:

Update stg stgname lo=0 hi=0.

The data will move to the next storage pool defined for the disk pool.
You have to define your tape storage pool as the next storage pool for the
disk storage pool.

By the way. I think that you would like to make operation you describe for
manual reclamation.

In our organization we have the similar ADSM configuration like you have -
ADSM Server on AS/400
and 3590 tape.
3590 tape has only one drive, so we the tape can't process automatic
reclamation.
We use the technique you describe for the manual reclamation. We transfer
useful data from tape cartridge
to disk pool by "move data" command, and transfer the data back to the tape
pool by "Update stg stgname lo=0 hi=0"
command.

Leonid Sirotinsky,
AS/400 Systems Administrator,
Israel Airports Authority.

Office: 972-3-9710172
Fax:    972-3-9731899
Mobile: 972-53-204257
E-Mail: LNSR AT IAA.GOV DOT IL

P.S.
In version 3 of ADSM server there is a new method for tape reclamation - by
reclamation pool.
I tried this way, but I have some problems.
If anybody has experience in this method, please contact me.