ADSM-L

Re: ADSM

1999-07-08 07:04:30
Subject: Re: ADSM
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 07:04:30 -0400
>My question is this.  Our ADSM server is set up to do incrimental backups,
>but there is one client who wants to perform full backups of his machine
>every week.  I need to know if this is possible to do, and if so I need to
>know how to go about doing this.  Thanks.

Your client is under-educated as to ADSM's preservation of data.  You should
stress to them that there is absolutely NO NEED to perform a full backup to
assuredly preserve data.  (You are doing storage pool backups, we presume.)

But, yes, it is still possible to do...

Backup, full (force)                    You can get a full backup of a file
                                        system via one of the following methods
                                        (being careful to weigh the
                                        ramifications of each approach):
                                        - At PC client: relabel the drive and do
                                          a backup.
                                          At Unix client: mount the file system
                                          read-only at a different mount point
                                          and do a backup.
                                        - As server admin, do 'REName FIlespace'
                                          to cause the filespace to be fully
                                          repopulated in the next backup
                                          (hence a full backup): you could then
                                          rename this just-in filespace to some