ADSM-L

Re: STK 9714 problem resolved

1999-07-07 12:49:43
Subject: Re: STK 9714 problem resolved
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 12:49:43 -0400
There really isn't any way to test the power supplies yourself.

Our CE found the problem originally by taking the covers off the drives and
testing the voltages on the 2 power supplies inside.  The voltages were low,
and they were lowest on the oldest drives.
But, even if yours aren't low now, they WILL fail eventually if they are
still the old type.

Last fall there was an STK service alert about this.  They replaced the
power supplied not just with new ones, but with a different TYPE of power
supply.  Your CE should be able to check the STK data base for the service
alert, and just check the part numbers.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert