ADSM-L

STK 9714

1999-07-05 17:14:48
Subject: STK 9714
From: Steven Bridge <ccaasub AT UCL.AC DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:14:48 +0100
It now appears to be my turn to have problems with a
StorageTek library. I've looked at the last few days messages
to this list and it seems to be the craze of the moment.

I'm not sure whether my problems have the same causes as I've
seen described but I'd certainly be grateful for advice of any
kind.

We are running an AIX 4.3 server, ADSM 3.1.2.0.
Our library has 2 DLT7000 drives. This morning we saw a write error
on one of the drives and the activity log indicated that the tape
in use was being made read-only. We have seen a few of these in the
last couple of months and assumed that we had a few bad tapes.
But then we started to see 'Unable to open device /dev/lb0 with error
5' followed by lots of similar messages, this time with error 46.
We then saw an error from the other drive shortly before ADSM crashed
with a segmentation fault - presumably not coded well enough to deal
with this sequence of hardware errors.

I recycled the power on the tape library and then restarted ADSM but it
was unable to access /dev/lb0. So I tried rebooting the server( an F40 )
but this hung while trying to configure the SCSI bus that the drives
and library were on - only continuing when the library was powered off.
I've tried eliminating all but the drives from the SCSI chain but
results were inconsistent.

Could these power supply problems on the drives described elsewhere be
screwing up the scsi bus so that the library isn't recognised on boot up ?
Or have people seen the scsi controller within the library go bad ?

 Steven Bridge     Systems Group, Information Systems, EISD
                          University College London
 email: s.bridge AT ucl.ac DOT uk                   tel: +44 (0)20 7679 2794