ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Server move question

1999-07-01 14:41:52
Subject: Re: ADSM Server move question
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:41:52 -0400
If you are just moving from one RS6000 to another, same version of ADSM, I
think it is actually easier to move a server by restoring the data base.
I've done it several times.

Read Chap. 20 of the AIX ADSM ADMIN guide "Protecting and recovering your
data"; read the part about restoring a data base to a point in time.

Also read the section in the ADMIN reference on the DSMSERV RESTORE DB
command, so that you understand how to restore your data base.

Then treat the "move" just as you would if you were recovering from a
disaster (in fact, you can impress your boss by telling him/her you are
testing your disaster recovery plan at the same time..!)

It should go something like this (assumes you have some type of tape media):

1.  First install the ADSM server code on your new machine.
2.  Enlarge the DB and recovery log so they are at least the same size as on
your old ADSM server.
3.  On your old server, shut down all client sessions and enter the command
DISABLE SESSIONS so no more can start.
4.  Force migrate all your stgpool data off to tape, so that nothing of
value is left on the disk of the old machine.
5.  Take a full data base backup to tape.  (If you want to get creative,
I've also done things like take the full DB backup to a disk file, then FTP
the file over to the new server.  Whatever.)
6.  Copy the volhistory and devconfig files from your old machine to the new
one.  (ADSM uses these files to locate your tape drives and the correct DB
backup tape for the restore.)
7.  Copy the dsmserv.opt file from your old machine to the new one.  Make
sure it correctly points to the volhistory and devconfig files you copied
over.
8.  If you are physically moving the tape drives, recable them to your new
machine.  (This can get a little tricky; if the drive definitions change,
you will need to doctor the devconfig file so that the drive definitions
point to the correct AIX /dev files.)
9.  Use the DSMSERV RESTORE DB command to reload your data base.
10.  Bring up the ADSM server on the new machine; delete all the disk
STGPOOL volume definitions (since they point to files that existed on the
old server) and recreate them.
11.  Do whatever you have to with IP addressing so that your clients now
point to the new server.

There are a lot of variations on this plan, depending on what disk and tape
resources you have available to the new machine.

To me this is quicker and easier than an EXPORT/IMPORT, but it just depends
on your situation.

Good luck!
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert