ADSM-L

Re: DEC-Unix 3.1 Client <-> automounter, ufs, nfs

1999-07-01 11:00:08
Subject: Re: DEC-Unix 3.1 Client <-> automounter, ufs, nfs
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:00:08 -0400
Hi, Reinald

I don't think this is a server problem, and I don't think it's specific
to DEC-Unix.  I operate in a SUN-Solaris environment.

(1)     I think this is the desired behavior.  You don't want to backup
        NFS server files through the NFS client.  Therefore, when the
        ADSM client executes an INCREMENTAL, it should not follow links
        onto remote systems.  The NFS server should have its own backup
        schedule with the ADSM server.

(2)     I am not surprised by the archive behavior either.  ARCHIVE uses
        the apparent name, and follows links to the bitter end.  However,
        I cannot offer any further comment without knowing what you are
        trying to accomplish with the ARCHIVE command.  I prefer to think
        of ARCHIVE as a tool for specific files, and BACKUP (e.g. INCREMENTAL)
        as the tool for filesystems.

(3)     I do not use VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT.  I observe that filespaces are
        assigned to mountpoints as defined by the OS.

Rich

At 02:30 PM 7/1/99 +0200, you wrote:
>I think about downgrading  to Level 0.1 (IP21174.tar).
>Could someone make this old version available ?  Thanks.
>
>We encounter the following problems, especially with newer levels:
>
>(1) None of the 3.1 Clients
>    that distinguish between "Local" and "Network Filespace"
>    works in Digital-Unix automounter-enviroment.
>
>    We tried
>        Version 3 Release 1, Level 0.3
>        Version 3 Release 1, Level 0.5
>        Version 3 Release 1, Level 0.6
>        Version 3 Release 1, Level 0.7 on Digital-Unix 4.0d
>   (Server is Version 3, Release 1, Level 2.20 on AIX-RS/6000)
>
>   In all cases "Network Filespace" shows only the physical mountpoints
>   and does not follow the symlink of the logical paths
>
>        (example:
>                elgon:/dist1/admin
>        is asignd to the logical path
>                /DIST/admin
>        the automounter-daemon on another node mounts this filesystem
>        dynamicaly to the physical mountpoint
>                /a/elgon/dist1/admin
>        and establisches a symbolic link
>                /DIST/admin/ -> /a/elgon/dist1/admin
>        -> adsm -clients is only able to follow the physical mountpoint,
>           which chandes if the disk migrates to another nfs-server)
>
>(2) trying do do an archive on "Local Filsspace"
>        /dist1/admin
>                (with   /dev/rz0a            /
>                        /dev/rz0g            /usr
>                        /dev/rz5h            /dist1 )
>

>   results not only in recursing subdirectories but to search the tree
>   in *both* directions. It does not even stay in the "Local Filespace"
>   but tends to cover the whole nfs-cluster, like
>        /dist1/admin/.../usr/local/CASE/xyz
>                (with /usr/local -> /DIST/alpha and
>                      /DIST/alpha/bin/CASE -> /DIST/CASE,
>                      no upward symlink across startingpoint )
>
>(3) I did not have much luck with the use of "virtualmountpoint" yet
>    on DEC-Unix.
>    (3.1) If I use in now in 3.1.05
>                virtualmountpoint       /
>                virtualmountpoint       /usr
>          dsm->Archive shows 2 identical / and
>          2 identical  /usr -entries. So what?
>    (3.2) do I have to use "virtualmountpoint" at all if I do a
>                dsmc /DIST/alpha   followd by
>                dsmc /DIST/share
>          to make shure that both are kept sepearate?
>
>          Are "Filespaces" asigned to the first section of the path
>          by default rather than to the filesystem as defined by the
>          operating system ? Is there a way to correct this ?
>

>   the desired behavior of the client is trivial:
>      ---------------------------------------------------------------
>       follow the path given by the argument of dsmc, don't leave the
>       filesystem from nowon and treat what you find there as distinct
>       file"space"
>      ---------------------------------------------------------------
>

>Do you have any hints or comments ?
>Do you have similar experiences with the DEC-Clients ?
>Are the points mentioned above known to ibm or are they really unique ?
>
>Thanks for your reply in every case.
>
>   Reinald Gfuellner

> [...]

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company              fax:   716-722-3885
Rochester, NY 14650-2203