ADSM-L

Re: ADSM own backup-backbone yes or no?

1999-06-25 11:41:48
Subject: Re: ADSM own backup-backbone yes or no?
From: "Brian T. Huntley" <bth AT CLARKSON DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:41:48 -0400
We are getting ready to implement a dedicated backup network for our core
servers (AFS, Novell, NT, SAP/R3, Oracle) Which will provide 100Mb Full
Duplex to each server, into a switch, then Giga-bit ethernet to the ADSM
server.

This will involve adding a second adapter to each client, and
obviously a giga-bit adapter to the ADSM server.

Whereas we move a fair amount of data (>300GB) in our daily backups, the
hope is that this will minimize the impact of significant amounts of
traffic on the networks that the users use, as well as remove the need to
route backup traffic from one network to another.  Unless you have an
extremely powerful router(or all of your clients are on the same network,
so no routing is required), and not much user traffic, a backup-net is
probably a worthwhile investment for a shop with large amounts of backup
traffic.  Keep in mind, it will help speed restores, too.

One note, however, is that a backup-net will probably enable you to put a
higher load on your servers (although it should be for a shorter period of
time).  Depending on the normal load on your servers, and how fast they
are, this may or may not adversely effect your users.

Hope this helps.....

-
Best regards,
Best regards,
Brian

| Brian T. Huntley                         Systems and Network Engineer |
| Campus Information Services, Clarkson University                      |
| Ph/FAX: 315.268-2292/6570                                             |
| bth AT clarkson DOT edu                                 www.clarkson.edu/cis |
 UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.
        PGP Public Key available. finger bth AT clarkson DOT edu