ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:42:38
Hi, can anyone help me with the following problem. We have a whole bunch of NT servers which have user internet cache files on them created by both IE and Netscape. I would like to purge all of these from the ADSM database as we end up with millions of files in the filespace thus slowing down PIT restores significantly as well as wasting space.

The procedure I think we need is as follows

1/ First bind all the files to be purged to a special management class which will cause all inactive versions to be retained for 1 day only and when the file is deleted (or excluded) to retain last version for only 1 day.
2/ Run a backup to ensure files get rebound
3/ Next replace the include statements with excludes
4/ Run a backup to ensure files get excluded (ADSM should mark all versions inactive and apply the deleted files policy to all remaining versions)
5/ Replace the exclude statements with exclude.dir statements to cause any subdirectories backed up to become inactive and prevent further backups going there.

Firstly is all this pain necessary or is there a quicker way which achieves the same result and do I need to wait for expiration to run between any of the above steps?

Here are the include/exclude statements I plan to use
Step 1
* Internet Explorer
include "*:\…\Temporary Internet Files\…\*.*" MC_PURGE
include "*:\…\Temporary Internet Files\*.*" MC_PURGE
* Communicator
include *:\…\Netscape\…\Cache\…\*.* MC_PURGE
include *:\…\Netscape\…\Cache\*.* MC_PURGE

Step 3
exclude "*:\…\Temporary Internet Files\…\*.*"
exclude "*:\…\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"
exclude *:\…\Netscape\…\Cache\…\*.*
exclude *:\…\Netscape\…\Cache\*.*

Step 5
exclude.dir "*:\…\Temporary Internet Files"
exclude.dir *:\…\Netscape\…\Cache

Does this look OK?

Thanks
Alan