ADSM-L

Re: 3590 compression ratio - clarification

1999-06-18 17:28:05
Subject: Re: 3590 compression ratio - clarification
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:28:05 -0400
On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Reinhold Wagner wrote:
> Today we have DLT7000 drives and their compression isn't as good as the specs
> promise. We see up to 50 GB of data on a single tape. We have DLT7000 drives
> connected to a Solaris and a NT machine and none of them shows its maximum
> performance.

Note that DLT7000's out-of-the-box are optimized for data streaming, and
if the data does not come fast enough, the drives will automatically
disable compression.  If you want to maximize the amount of data you put
on the tapes, contact your vendor, or Quantum, and find out how to force
compression to always be on.

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,